Pages

Monday, December 28, 2015

Blogger Changes - It's Called Progress

Welcome

Thanks to the lovely Shaz in Oz, I have become aware if some changes that Blogger is going to be bringing shortly - it may mean a drop in the numbers of followers for those of us blogging with Blogger, and that some of my followers may not be able to be notified of, or read new posts after 11th January, or comment.

This is their post which explains things, not that I am impressed, but they call it progress!

In 2011, we announced the retirement of Google Friend Connect for all non-Blogger sites. We made an exception for Blogger to give readers an easy way to follow blogs using a variety of accounts. Yet over time, we’ve seen that most people sign into Friend Connect with a Google Account. So, in an effort to streamline, in the next few weeks we’ll be making some changes that will eventually require readers to have a Google Account to sign into Friend Connect and follow blogs.

As part of this plan, starting the week of January 11, we’ll remove the ability for people with Twitter, Yahoo, Orkut or other OpenId providers to sign in to Google Friend Connect and follow blogs. At the same time, we’ll remove non-Google Account profiles so you may see a decrease in your blog follower count.

We encourage you to tell affected readers (perhaps via a blog post), that if they use a non-Google Account to follow your blog, they need to sign up for a Google Account, and re-follow your blog. With a Google Account, they’ll get blogs added to their Reading List, making it easier for them to see the latest posts and activity of the blogs they follow.

We know how important followers are to all bloggers, but we believe this change will improve the experience for both you and your readers.

I hope this does not inconvenience any of my readers, as I so appreciate you all.

May your day be blessed

5 comments:

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Totally agree with you on this Maxine - and as Brenda onFloral Fantasies said if ain't broke why fix it..l they just love messing it.
Admittedly we are using a free service and just have grin bear it and hope and pray it's not going to be too painless.
Hugs Shaz in Oz.x

Suchi said...

Thanks Maxine for making us aware of this update on Google Friend Connect! :)
Suchi xx

aussie aNNie said...

Thanks my friend, with the google changes and messing up my blog now I have to do a verification thingy with pictures each time I comment it drives me crazy....always something to mess up our joy of crafting.xx

mamapez5 said...

I see there are a few posts about this. What a pain. I have been away from my computer for a while so I was unaware of the changes. I can only wait and see how it affect me, but I have a google account so I hope we can continue our 'blog land' friendship. Kate x

MiamiKel said...

Well that just shows where my brain is or focused because I swear I read Shirraz - ah! Bring on the wine! I'm sorry that these changes are going to cause some issues, but I'll find you, my friend, one way or another! Love you!